Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon Specialising in Knee Surgery
Honorary Professor Associate, Brunel University School of Sport & Education
MB BS, MS, FRCS(Orth), FFSEM(UK)
Clinical and Academic Accolades
Mr McDermott qualified from St Bartholomew’s Hospital in 1992, and after completing his specialist training in London he was appointed as a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in the NHS in 2005. In 2008 Mr McDermott founded the London Sports Orthopaedics practice, and he now works exclusively full-time in the private sector.
- In 2003 Mr McDermott was awarded the President’s Medal of the British Association for Surgery of the Knee (BASK) for his research into meniscal repair.
- In 2004 Mr McDermott was awarded a Master of Surgery higher degree by Imperial College, with a thesis on meniscal transplantation.
- In 2005 Mr McDermott was appointed as an Honorary Professor Associate in the School of Sport & Education at Brunel University
- Mr McDermott was the first surgeon in the UK to implant a Conformis G2 custom-made knee, and he is now part of the Conformis Surgical Visitation Programme, teaching other surgeons the techniques for implanting custom-made knees.
- Mr McDermott was the first surgeon in the UK to use Vivostat PRF biological glue in knees (for fixing articular cartilage grafts and meniscal transplants, and to promote tissue healing, as well as for reducing pain and swelling in knee replacement surgery), and he is now a designated ‘Centre of Excellence’ for Vivostat, for training other surgeons.
- Mr McDermott is also one of the UK’s leading experts in the field of meniscal allograft transplantation, and he has been awarded ‘Centre of Excellence’ status by Hospital Innovations as a training centre for meniscal transplantation.
- Mr McDermott is a member of the International Cartilage Regeneration & Joint Preservation Society.
- Mr McDermott is the founder and current President of the UK Biological Knee Society.
- Mr McDermott is on the Editorial Board of The American Journal of Sports Medicine and he is also on the Editorial Board of the Orthopaedics and Trauma Journal. In addition, he is also a reviewer for The Bone and Joint Journal and The Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- From 2003 to 2004 Mr McDermott was the President of the British Orthopaedic Trainees Association.
- In 2004 Mr McDermott became the youngest ever surgeon to be elected as a Council Member and Trustee of the Royal College of Surgeons, serving a 6-year term of office.
- Mr McDermott has sat on the Council of the British Orthopaedic Association (BOA) and he has also sat on the Professional Practice Committee of the BOA.
- Mr McDermott has been a Board Member of the Federation of Independent Practitioners Organisations (FIPO) since 2004, and in 2018 he was elected as Deputy Chairman of the Executive Board.
- Mr McDermott is the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Orthopaedic and Trauma Specialists Indemnity Scheme (OTSIS)
- Mr McDermott is the founder and Managing Partner of the London Sports Orthopaedics practice.
Mr McDermott has published extensively in the scientific literature, and has given numerous presentations at national and international scientific meetings, including many invited lectures.
Selection of key publications to-date:-
“Meniscal repair: a review of current practice”
F Tudor, McDermott ID and Myers P
Orthopaedics and Trauma 2014; 28(2): 88-96
“Graft options for ACL reconstructive surgery”
Orthopaedics and Trauma 2013 June; 27(3): 156-163
“Meniscal tears, repairs and replacement: their relevance to osteoarthritis of the knee.”
British Journal of Sports Medicine Published on-line 5-2-2011
Mini-symposium: “Sort Tissue Surgery in the Knee”
Editorial (Special Guest Editor)
Orthopaedics and Trauma 2010 Apr; 24(2): 83
“Biomechanics of the meniscus”
SD Masouros, ID McDermott, AMJ Bull and AA Amis
In The Meniscus Springer-Verlag, Berlin 2010, pp 29-38 (Book Chapter)
“Anatomy of the meniscus”
ID McDermott, SD Masouros, AMJ Bull and AA Amis
In The Meniscus Springer-Verlag, Berlin 2010, pp 11-18 (Book Chapter)
“The ABC of Physical Activity for Health: a consensus statement from the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences.”
O’Donovan G, Blazevich AJ, Boreham C, Cooper AR, Crank H, Ekelund U, Fox KR, Gately P, Giles-Corti B, Gill JM, Hamer M, McDermott I, Murphy M, Mutrie N, Reilly JJ, Saxton JM, Stamatakis E.
Journal of Sports Sciences 2010 Apr; 28(6): 573-91
“What tissue bankers should know about the use of allograft meniscus in orthopaedics.”
Ian D. McDermott
Cell and Tissue Banking (2010) 11:75-85
“Meniscal tears, repairs and replacement: a cutting edge view.”
ID McDermott & A Robertson
Orthopaedic Product News 2009 (August): 32-34
“Prevention of intra-operative contamination from surgical gown cuffs.”
Grice J, Haleem S, McDermott I
Injury, Int. J. Care Injured 2009; 40(4): 458
“The Meniscus 2007 – Reconstruction and Regeneration.”
ID McDermott, E van Arkel, R Warwick, D Holsten
The Knee 2008; 15(5): II – VI
“Biomechanics of the menisci of the knee.”
I.D. McDermott, S.D. Masouros and A.A. Amis
Current Orthopaedics 2008; 22(3): 193 – 201
“The effects of lateral menical allograft transplantation techniques on tibio-femoral contact pressures.”
I.D. McDermott, D.T.T. Lie, A. Edwards, A.M.J. Bull, A.A. Amis
Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 2008; 16(6): 553 – 560
“The consequences of meniscectomy.”
I.D. McDermott and A.A.Amis
The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (British) 2006; 88-B(12): 1549 – 1556
Current Orthopaedics 2006; 20(2): 85 – 94
“Human meniscal allograft transplantation.”
I.D. McDermott and N.P.Thomas
The Knee 2006; 13(1): 69 – 71
“Soft tissue allografts in the knee: a survey of UK usage and a report of a combined user/provider collaborative group.”
I.D. McDermott, N.P.Thomas, S. Poniatowski and R.M.Warwick
The Knee 2006; 13(1): 72 – 75. E-pub 21/11/05
“Tendon Allografts in the Knee.”
I.D. McDermott and N.P.Thomas
The Knee 2005; 12(6): 401 – 404. E-pub 27/10/05
“Management of suspected scaphoid fractures in accident and emergency departments – time for new guidelines.”
C.C. Tai, M. Ramachandran, I.D. McDermott, S. Ridgeway and Z. Mirza
Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England 2005; 87(5): 353 – 357
“An anatomical study of meniscal allograft sizing.”
I.D. McDermott, F. Sharifi, A.M.J. Bull, C.M. Gupte, R.deW. Thomas and A.A. Amis
Knee Surgery, Traumatology, Arthroscopy 2004; 12(2): 130-135
“A Biomechanical study of 4 different meniscal repair systems, comparing pullout strengths and gapping across the repair site under cyclical loading.”
S. Richards, I.D. McDermott, P. Hallam, S. Tavares and A.A. Amis
Knee Surgery, Traumatology, Arthroscopy 2003; 11 (1): 23-29
“The Role of Re-hydration in the prevention of Fat Embolism Syndrome.”
I.D. McDermott, P.Culpan, M. Clancy and J. Dooley
Injury 2002; 33: 757-759
“Meniscofemoral ligaments revisited. Anatomical study, age correlation and clinical implications.”
C.M. Gupte, A. Smith, I.D. McDermott, A.M.J. Bull, R.DeW. Thomas and A.A. Amis
The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery 2002; 84-B: 846-851
“The Internet – friend or foe? A questionnaire study of orthopaedic out-patients.”
C.M. Gupte, A. Hassan, I.D. McDermott and R.DeW. Thomas
The Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England 2002; 84: 187-192
“Biomechanical function of the ligaments and menisci of the knee.”
A.A. Amis, A.M.J. Bull and I.D. McDermott
Pathologie ligamentum du genu. Ph Landreau, P Christel. P Dijan Eds. Springer Verlag Pub, 2001
“Day case anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a feasibility study.”
I.D. McDermott, C. Hobbs, C. Gupte and J. Hollingdale
The Journal of One-Day Surgery 2001; 10(4): 8-9
“Does the addition of morphine to intra-articular bupivacaine injection improve pain relief after knee arthroscopy? ”
I.D. McDermott, E. Crowhurst, E.J.P. Crawfurd and S.G. Tordoff
The Knee 1999; 6: 17-19